Interview with Marissa Farrar


When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve wanted to be a writer since I was a child. My parents have got very old video footage of me at about seven-years-old talking about a book I’m writing and how I’m going to get it published. It wasn’t until I finished my degree that I actually made the decision to follow my dream to become an author. It only took another eight years from that point to actually be able to make my living through my writing!

What genre do you write and why?
I write paranormal fiction. Some of my fiction is fantasy, some thriller, and some even horror. But pretty much whatever I write, even if it’s horror, always has strong romantic thread.

Tell us about your latest book.
My latest book to be published is the third novel in my dark vampire ‘Serenity’ series. The series follows the relationship between a woman (Serenity), who is the victim of domestic abuse, and the man she meets (Sebastian), who also happens to be a vampire.

What marketing methods are you using to promote your book? 
Marketing and promoting is my weakest point when it comes to being a writer, which is why I’ve hired Philia Book Tours to help me out with the blogging side of things. I’m a big fan of twitter and I love my facebook page – I’ve got so many wonderful fans on there. I use facebook ads and giveaways to try to boost followers.

What formats is the book available in?
It is currently available as an eBook only, but the paperback is coming out at the end of May.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I read a lot – especially in the bath – and watch television. I’m a big fan of shows like ‘True Blood’ and ‘The Vampire Diaries’. I’ve got a young family, so time in the day is spent with them.

Marissa Farra

Who are your favorite authors?
A strange mixture of Stephen King, James Herbert, Jodi Picoult and Emily Barr!

What advice do you have for other writers?
To spend as much time learning from other writers as possible. Try to get critiques and listen to constructive criticism. Oh, and get a subscription from www.autocrit.com. That website has done more for my writing than anything else!

What's your favourite quote about writing/for writers?
‘What do you call a writer who never gives up? Published.’

What's the best thing about being a writer?
The possibility of it all. You never know which book is going to be the one to hit the best-seller lists or how well things are going to sell. It’s like holding a lottery ticket but you actually have a chance of winning! Also, I love being able to spend hours every day in different worlds. I can live so many different lives without ever having to leave my living room.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
My facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/marissa.farrar.author) is a great place to stay updated about what’s going on in my writing life or else there is more in depth info at my blog: www.marissa-farrar.blogspot.com

Anything else you'd like to add?
Just thank you for hosting me and that the first novel in my vampire series, ‘Alone’, is currently free to download from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, and a number of other sites!


0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.